Variety is the name of the game on June 14th. Silly (but not necessarily good) comedies, equally silly science fiction, a silly update of an old children’s story and a rock-solid rockumentary.
- Hall Pass – The Farrelly brothers were once the sibling kings of gross-out comedies. It seems that time has softened their approach. They return with Owen WIlson and Jason Sudeikis playing two friends. Along with their wives played by Jenna Fischer and Christina Applegate, the couples are unhappy with their marriages. The wives give their husbands a week off from their vows to fulfill whatever sexual misadventures they truly desire.
- Battle: Los Angeles – Alien invaders crash land on Earth to stage a battle. Ummm…in Los Angeles. Nice and straightforward.
- Red Riding Hood – Allentown’s hardest working actress (maybe?) Amanda Seyfried stars in a new spin on an old tale. For a hint about this movie’s tone, ‘Twilight’ director Catherine Hardwicke is at the helm. Yep, it’s one of those movies.
- Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son – Did anyone really ask for a third ‘Big Momma’s House’ film? Anyway, Brandon T. Jackson stars as Martin Lawrence’s son in this. After all, what’s funnier than one guy in bad drag? Two, of course.
- Jackass 3.5 – Additional, unused material from the third ‘Jackass’ film. These ‘.5’ installments usually feature slight runtimes and when you really get down to it, only have a few extra stunts and an awful lot of needless talking. This one seems to be a little more substantial than ‘Jackass 2.5’, which is encouraging.
- Foo Fighters: Back and Forth – One of the most popular rock bands in the world tells all in this documentary.
All of these DVDs, and others, will be available to rent/purchase in Allentown, the Lehigh Valley, and beyond.
When J.J. Ellis isn’t writing as the Allentown DVD Examiner, his Decent Exposure Radio can be heard on the air every Friday night from 10:30 to midnight (EST) on WXLV 90.3 FM or wxlvradio.com!